Mushroom grow bags are a convenient and easy way to grow mushrooms at home. There are a variety of different sizes and options available, but most all mushroom grow bags will feature a gas exchange filter.
Using spawn bags is a relatively simple process, however most new growers can be intimidated by the process. That said, this is a quick and focused guide on how to fill, fold, sterilize and use your spawn bag.
- Mushroom Grow Bags
- Spawning Substrate (grain bag)
- Impulse Sealer, bag clamp
- Pressure Cooker or Autoclave
- Open your bag, pushing out the gusseted sides and allowing it to stand up. Flatten the bottom to avoid grains from getting stuck under the bottom flaps
- Fill the bag with your preferred spawn substrate. Do not fill up to the filter; leave a few inches of space.
- Fold in the gusseted sides, bringing the front and the back together.
- Wrap the bag over itself tightly.
- Place in sterilization vessel and sterilize. When using a pressure cooker you will need to maintain 15PSI for 90-120 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the bags to cool in the vessel.
- Remove the bags and seal using an Impulse Sealer or other method.
- Store in a cool environment until ready for use. Use the bags within 3 weeks for the best results.
Looking for quality mushroom grow bags? Check out our bags which feature multiple filters, with and without injection ports.